It seems that dogs don't mind eating whatever you feed to them. But here are a list of 10 foods that you should never ever give to your dog. Just a bite of them could kill your dog. Don't let a single mistake lead to eternal regret.
Chocolate is one of the most common foods that is bad for dogs. Most people already know this but did you know why? Have you ever heard "the darker the chocolate, the more dangerous"?
Chocolate can cause vomiting, dehydration, diarrhea, abdominal pains, severe agitation, tremors, elevated body temperature, an abnormal heart rhythm, seizures and even death if eaten by a dog.
Have you ever shared your ice cream with your dog on a hot day? If so, please don’t do that again.
The killer in chocolate is caffeine and theobromine which belong to a class of alkaloid molecules called methylxanthines. Methylxanthines are absorbed much more slowly in dogs, causing a toxic and deadly result. The less sweet and darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is to your dog. It's because such chocolate contains more methylxanthines. Thus, more toxicity.
Dairy products (like ice cream, milk, and cheese) contain lactose (also known as milk sugar) which dogs don't have the required enzymes to break down.
Consumption of milk and other dairy-based products can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, and other digestive problems. They can also trigger food allergies, which can cause itchiness.
If you regularly snack on macadamia nuts and foods that have macadamia nuts in them, make sure to hide your snacks from dog. Just six raw or roasted macadamia nuts can make a dog sick.
The specific elements found in macadamia nuts are still unknown right now, but they can cause a toxic reaction if ingested by dogs.
Macadamia nuts can cause muscle weakness (specifically in the hind legs), depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Eating chocolate with the nuts will make symptoms worse, maybe even fatal. Symptoms usually appear within 12 hours after ingestion and might last 12 to 48 hours.
Eating a lot of raw onions and garlic is particularly concerning, but smaller amounts over time can also cause issues. So think twice before you give your dog an onion. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Onions and garlic contain compounds that can be harmful to dogs if ingested enough.
Onions and garlic are toxic to dogs in any form, whether fresh, cooked, powdered or dehydrated. They can kill red blood cells in canines, causing anemia. Symptoms of anemia in your dog include weakness, vomiting, little interest in food, and breathing problems.
If your dog likes jumping up to grab food from the kitchen counter, it's best not to leave your rising bread dough unattended. Yeast in any form before baked is extremely dangerous for your dog.
The raw yeast dough from making bread can ferment in a dog's stomach, becoming toxic.
Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your dog's stomach and intestines. This can lead to severe pain and cause the stomach and intestines to bloat, and potentially twist, becoming a life-threatening emergency. Also, the fermentation will produce alcohol that can lead to alcohol poisoning. Vomiting, abdominal discomfort, lethargy, and a lack of interest in anything can also occur.
We all know chocolate is toxic for canines, but did you know that caffeine is also one of the most dangerous foods for dogs? Coffee, coffee grounds, tea, sodas, energy drinks, weightlifter supplements, OTC pills, and diet pills all contains caffeine.
Coffee contains a stimulant called methylxanthines.
Methylxanthines stimulate the nervous system in dogs, causing restlessness, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, heart palpitations, seizures and even death.
Among the people foods grapes and raisins are most toxic to dogs. And of all the dangerous foods for dogs, they are among the worst. It is best to avoid feeding grapes and raisins to dogs.
Although the compound in grapes and raisins that is toxic to dogs is unknown, whatever it is, the results of consumption can be pretty devastating.
Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure and even death in canines. The symptoms include vomiting, dehydration, diarrhea, lack of appetite as well as a lethargic state. Death may occur with three to four days.
While humans know not to eat pits or cores of fruits, dogs don't. Be careful not to leave pits or cores laying around for dogs to get their paws on.
The pits and cores of certain fruits (like apples, peaches, plums, pears, apricots, and persimmons) can cause intestinal blockages that can turn serious. However, the pits and cores also contain cyanide, which is poisonous to both people and dogs.
Some common symptoms of ingesting the toxin are dizziness, dilated pupils, salivation, struggling to breathe, seizures, collapse, hyperventilation, shock and even coma.
Is a treat from the table OK for your dog? That depends on what it is.
Avocados contain a compound called persin, an oil-soluble toxin that can be dangerous to dogs. Not only is persin in the fruit itself, but also in the pit, leaves, and even the bark of an avocado tree.
Dogs sensitive to persin may experience breathing difficulties, diarrhea, vomiting, heart congestion, and even death.
What? Bacon? You may feel tragic that you can't share one of the greatest foods with your canine buddies.
Rich and very fatty foods, bacon included, can lead to pancreatitis in dogs. Once a dog has developed pancreatitis, his pancreas will function abnormally, causing terrible health problems. Another factor is the high salt which may contribute to other problems like bloating and twisting of the intestines.
This leads to all kinds of problems with digestion and nutrient absorption. Although bacon strips are certainly tasty, they can wreak havoc on your dog.
Keep your dog away from these foods and you may not need a vet any more. If you think this article is helpful, please share it with your friends. We hope more people could be made aware of these deadly foods for dogs, thus maybe more lives could be saved.